Sunday, August 08, 2010

Saturday Afternoon QUICKIE - Fresh Apple Pie



Weekly Reminder: What is a "QUICKIE" anyway?...hmmmmm, found this online: "Very little foreplay, quick finish. Usually 5 minutes, start to finish.." Perfect! Since I've demonstrated how blog challenged I am this year, a speedy, once a week drop-in is JUST what the doctor ordered (wink!).
So clear your calendar, I'm all yours for 5 minutes every Saturday afternoon...rawr


Let's make a pie - YUM!...



Well, years ago I was searching for a decent apple pie recipe..and stumbled upon the baker's discussion forum for the Pillsbury Bake-Off® Contest winners. Ummm..somehow I gained access to the forum (shrugging my shoulders, hands up)...and the recipes they were sharing with each other. Can I ask you, what's a young wife to do...who’s trying to impress her new husband? Take a freakin' peek, of course. Let's just say someone must have caught on to the "security breach", and the next day any further access was denied. That's fine, my brief visit was worth it. Hmmm, let's just say that one of the recipes I "accidently" skimmed over, plus some personal tweaking, inspired my apple pie recipe.
So, if I'm not hauled off to jail for this admission (hello, not my fault you webmasters!)...maybe you'll see more “inspired” pies and cakes here in the future - (wink!)

Fresh Apple Pie
Pie Crust:
2 cups flour
2 TBL. white sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup very cold unsalted butter, cubed
2 tsp. cider vinegar
1 TBL. canola oil
5 TBL. heavy whipping cream
1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp. water
sugar for sprinkling

Apple Filling:
6 cups (approx. 7-8 apples) organic Granny Smith apples, pared, cored, and thinly sliced
3/4 - 1 cup of white sugar (depends on how tart apples are)
4 TBL. cornstarch
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 tsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 TBL. butter, cubed

In a small bowl mix the first four (4) ingredients (dry stuff). Dump into the food processor. Add the shortening and cubed butter and pulse until you see very small chucks.
In another small bowl mix together the vinegar, oil and heavy cream. Slowly add this mixture while the processor is on low speed. When the crust dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, stop the processor. You can add a TBL of water or more if the dough seems dry...just don't go overboard!
Form the dough into two disks, place between waxed paper..and refrigerate for one hour.
Flour your board and roll out one disk into a 10" round. Place it into a 9" pie plate. Prink the bottom 4-5times with a fork.

Now for the filling..
In a large bowl, mix together the first seven (7) ingredients for the filling. Place filling in the pie plate. Dot with remaining butter. Roll out remaining dough disk and place on top of the filling. Trim excess and seal the edges of the pie. Make four slits in the top crust. Brush some of the egg mixture on the top and sprinkle with sugar.



Bake in the center of the rack in a 400° preheated oven for twenty (20) minutes. Now reduce to 375° and bake for another forty (40) minutes or until the juices are bubbling inside and the crust is golden brown. Cover the edges with foil if necessary to prevent burning.
And POOF...you got yourself a pie!



Thanks for the QUICKIE (wink!), I'll see ya next week!

4 comments:

La Bella Cooks said...

My husband would be so pleased with this 'quickie'. I really need to make pies more often and this one looks fantastic.

ReluctantYankee said...

Bridgett! O-M-Gosh, your comment made me giggle this morning! lol! Thank you for stopping by my friend...and based on my past comments on your blog, you already know how much I LOVE to visit it! Have a great week...see ya on Twitter too!

Diana's Cocina said...

That crust looks beautiful! Apple is one of my Dad's favorite pies. Can't wait to give it a try.

Pam said...

Love your blog! I'm new here and will enjoy looking around! Love that quickie apple pie too!

Crickets!!! I'm hearing CRICKETS!!

Welcome back to my archaic blog. Started years ago as merely a creative "mommy" outlet, now, it is simply therapy for boredom. ;) ...