Saturday, May 09, 2009

My Tri-Color Pasta Salad


Yup, EVERYONE has a version of this Spring/Summer salad...but making this delicious side dish can be a challenge if you have picky eaters in the house - like me. Let's see, I have a hubby that turns up his nose to any salad with an obvious vinegar taste, two boys that aren't that crazy about cold salads, etc....This salad is quick, easy and edible..according to my children :) LOL!
WARNING: This is a "throw-together-add-what-you-what-not-very-exact" recipe...and yes, I based this recipe on one given to me by a Southern pal years ago...

Tri-Color Pasta Salad serves 6-8
1 16 oz. box Barilla Tri-Color Pasta
1 pkg. Mann's Steam & Serve Garden Herb Medley veggies
3 TBL. kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 TBL. crumbled Feta cheese
5 squirts? Wishbone Italian Dressing
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

In the microwave, cook the veggies according to label directions, but maybe a few seconds less (I like my veggies on the crunchy side..). Uncover and let completely cool. NOTE: I usually remove the cauliflower because I think it's too mushy for the salad. Besides, it's a healthy snack while cooking ~


Boil in salted water, pasta for approx. 8-9 mins. Not too long, or the noodles won't hold up!
Rinse with cold water, drain thoroughly.
In a large bowl combine pasta, veggies, kidney beans, Feta cheese and a twist or two of pepper.
Fun part: 5 or more squirts of Italian dressing (my kids beg to help with this part!).
Mix gently but thoroughly. Refrigerate for about 4+ hours...
That's it...
What I dig about this salad - it's so basic, you can add more of this or less of that, whatever!
I sometimes add artichoke hearts or cubed salami, more dressing or hot pepper flakes...it's all good.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Crickets!!! I'm hearing CRICKETS!!

Welcome back to my archaic blog. Started years ago as merely a creative "mommy" outlet, now, it is simply therapy for boredom. ;) ...